Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Power Of Ones Testimony! (My Mom)

       A testimony is an open declaration or profession, as of faith. But not only is testimony an open declaration its personal and its a part of you. Your testimony is what shapes your life, as you live and search and pray you develop knowledge and experiences to build your testimony or to take away from your testimony. My testimony is one of the most precious things to me, its everything, its what i know to be true and i know that there is nothing more powerful that having a testimony in Jesus Christ! If a testimony is not taken care of and strengthened then it will wilt much like an un-nourished flower. 
...Let us nourish it with great care, that it may get root, that it may grow up, and bring forth fruit unto us. And now behold, if ye nourish it with much care it will get root, and grow up, and bring forth fruit.- Alma 32:37
       One way we can nourish our testimony's is by hearing those testimony's of others. I have asked a few wonderful people to bear their testimonies, to share what they know to be true. This first Person is Amazing, well of course she is because she is my Mom! I grew up feeling the power of her testimony and i am so thankful that you all can feel her strength too. And by hearing hers and others testimony's it will strengthen yours.
 As I think about my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Mormon", my heart is full of gratitude for the blessing this has been in my life.  My testimony has been influenced by the love the gospel brings into my home.  It began as a young girl with family prayer, Sunday evening family time, working together on family projects and even Saturday and weekday chores, attending church meetings, doing service projects, like going to the church welfare farms or helping neighbors with my parents, for they were always serving others.  I learned values such as faith, charity, moral cleanliness  and to keep the commandments.  I learned the importance of  the family and the eternal aspect of Temple ordinances and was blessed with the Priesthood in my home.  As one of 8 children I learned to share, to forgive and to repent after episodes of sibling rivalry .  I have  the knowledge that I am a child of God and a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me and I love him.
                  My testimony of the gospel comes from working to living it every day and knowing it is blessing my life and the lives of my family and others.  I have a testimony of the Atonement, that Jesus died on the cross for us.  That act is a tremendous gift that allows us to return to our Heavenly Father through our repentance and faith in him.  My faith in Christ helps me to change my thoughts and behaviors so I can be in harmony with his teachings and  become a better individual.  I know that after my baptism, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, has given me a spiritual guide that enlightens my mind, warns me of danger, comforts me, helps me to recognize the truth  and helps me to feel God's love. Through that still small voice that you feel more than hear I am prompted of what to do or say as I take the time to listen to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost.   By my membership in the "Mormon" church I have been given this gift.
               My testimony is strengthened through daily prayer.  I know Heavenly Father hears and answers my prayers as I do so with a sincere heart and real intent.  As I pray for specific needs and desires I know that he will comfort, inspire and guide me, answering my prayers on his terms and sometimes through others.  I feel peace and love as I live the gospel with commitment and obedience.  This is not always easy as there are so many influences that would have me live and make choices differently. Free Agency is a wonderful thing if we choose to live our lives in accordance to the Savior's will. I can make my choices but I cannot always pick the consequences from those choices.  I make mistakes but through repentance and the atonement I can change to become a better person.    
             I have a testimony of the scriptures,the Bible and of the Book of Mormon which teaches us the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  By Joseph Smith's obedience and commitments to the gospel after his vision of God the Father and Jesus Christ in a grove of trees at the age of 14 ,enduring trials and tribulations until his death with unwavering faith and knowledge of what he had seen and learned testifies to me of the truthfulness of the restored gospel.  The Book of Mormon exists if not through Joseph Smith then how did it come to be? 
               I have a testimony of the Plan of Salvation and the opportunity of Eternal life with my family being together forever.  I know the gospel gives us daily guidance and inspires us to do good . It brings us peace,happiness, eternal joy and unconditional love!

No comments:

Post a Comment